Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Hiatus, The Employment, The Horror, The Horror

*strides into the room, sneezing and hacking as if caught with a sudden case of severe hayfever* Goodness me it's dusty down here. Not only has the dust gathered on this so-called "blog", but in my new residence too. Allow me to expand.

Firstly, my apologies to you all for my last post. My very beloved father had just passed away, and I was not, perhaps, in quite the right frame of mind for writing anything of interest, especially not without sounding tiresome and pompous. I think I'm over the worst of it now...nothing a sturdy tankard of Shaky Pete's Ginger Brew won't fix, at least.

Yes, you heard me, Shaky Pete. Now, whether his name was garnered from the immense amount of cocktail-shaker motion he achieves on a daily basis, or from an occasional bout of Deleriun Tremens that is the barkeeps' occupational hazard, Pete is one of the finest "mixologists" (what a frightful newfangled word that is) in town. A resident bartender at The Hawksmoor Spitalfields since as far back as I can recall, he now has shifted his professional attention to their new site in the Seven Dials district of London's Covent Garden. And, what's more, I have the exceedingly good news of telling you that I have joined not only him, but a cadre of far more elite professionals than myself at that very such venue, hailing from most of London's finest drinking and eating establishments, and far beyond (I've probably learnt more cursewords in Lithuanian than most Vilnius residents ever have). As with my last place of employment, I am stuck in a subterranean, ceiling-arched marvel of exposed brickwork and wood, locked away amidst the dust-gathering bottles of wine and fine spirits. This, in fact, is most likely what is causing this infernal sneeze-fest.

So, in short, I have a new calling; rather than simply exchanging great wines in return for the greater public's money, and seeing very little profit from it in return...I am trying to fill a role that is both a lot more fulfilling, satisfying, and monetarily rewarding than I imagined I could achieve at my age. My pride at working with a group of people such as I do is immense; where many offices, stores or corporations may have the resident moron or intolerable firebrand, there is not a single duff individual at Hawksmoor. They, along with the many awe-inspiring and pleasant-to-deal-with customers I've met in the past couple of weeks, have goaded me into resuming my blogging habit. I used to write a lot more than I do nowadays, and on a lot more sites and forums than this bagatelle of a page here.

I hope I can begin to entertain, amuse and educate you all a lot better than I have before. Kudos must go to the most excellent fellow known as Simon (or as the more handsome half of Dos Hermanos, the people to whom being called "food bloggers" would be like calling The Iliad "pretty long"). Had I not met him, as well as a few other bloggers of note recently, I may have left this page untouched for many more weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment